Thursday, July 22, 2010

Honestly...Why Are There Cigarette Ads In Fashion Magazines, Still?


Last night, I was flipping through the August issue of Elle. I always enjoy reading the newest monthlies, however, for the first time I realized that there were cigarette ads in the issue. I honestly must be so focused on the clothing to have never really realized that these ads were still being displayed in fashion magazines. This time, however, I had a reaction:
Why are fashion magazines still running cigarette advertisements?

I know that back in the day smoking cigarettes was considered sexy or chic and that a lot people in the fashion industry, today, still smoke. Regardless, we as a public all know that the effects of smoking isn't glamourous or sexy. It's revolting.

Also, I understand that the magazine industry is having a hard time stay afloat due to the recession and the rising of online media, so advertisements are essential. But at what cost? I'm sure cigarette ads pay a pretty penny, but is it honestly worth endorsing a product that is proven to kill? Worst of all, these ads are usually made out of a thicker paper (example, American Spirits), so when opening a magazine on a whim, it's one of the first pages you automatically turn to. If that's not deliberate, I don't know what is.

Honestly fashion mags, take the moral high road. I'd rather you run fewer pages per month than run these ads. Enough is enough. It's time for a change.


That's more like it.

No comments: