Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unpaid Internships- Necessary For Your Career

Reel internships are NOTHING like you see on TV...but they are still totally worth it!

So, everyone's been talking about the New York Times' article about how unpaid internships may be illegal. Here's my opinion on the matter:

I have had 3 unpaid internships (if you include one that gave me a stipend of $12 per day for food and transportation) and I think they are worth all the time and effort you put into them. Yes, you do a fair amount of grunt work, ie. running errands, making photo copies, getting coffee, however you learn so much more than you would otherwise. You see first hand the chain of command on how the business you aspire to work for runs. I got to do things I never dreamed I would be able to do at my age, like going to photo shoots, or running around Manhattan to find a pair of Levi's for Anna Wintour (no joke!).

These experiences, even if they aren't glamorous, are worth way more than if you were getting paid. The only thing, though, is make sure you're doing this while you are in school. Otherwise, you will need an income. But internships are the best way to get your foot in the door. I swear by them.

x0x0

No comments: